Saturday, May 5, 2012

Sick Days

We've been very lucky with Sara Kate that she's a relatively healthy child.  The last time she was sick was over Christmas and we rushed to the doctor right when we could tell she started feeling bad just because we were going out of town the next day.  And I was even thinking recently that I haven't gotten a call from her school in a while (thank the Lord).  But then that call came Wednesday mid-morning.  Hand foot and mouth disease was running through her class like wild fire, and they told me she had developed bumps on her hands and feet.  Unfortunately for them, Chris was busy at school with concert prep and I was out in the middle of nowhere at a field day and couldn't get back to Fayetteville to pick her up until the afternoon.  I went ahead and called the doctor and made an appointment, and as soon as we got back to the office I headed south to pick her up.  It was snack time and she had just woken up from her nap and she was SOAKING wet.  Like her head and shirt looked like she had been in the tub.  They asked if she was teething and I said not that I knew of.  Anyway, we headed to the doctor and while we waited I really noticed how bad she was drooling...it's the worst drool I've ever seen her have.  I looked at her hands and saw no bumps but saw some on the back of her feet.  The doctor checked her out and the reason she was drooling uncontrollably was because she had bumps on her tongue and in her throat, and her mouth was hurting her so the drool was just coming out.  Poor girl!  So it was confirmed she definitely had hand foot and mouth disease.  Chris stayed home with her Thursday and I stayed home with her on Friday.  The thing with this disease is that it's a virus so it just has to run it's course.  Her 'sick' day (I used quotes because she doesn't feel bad, but we could from the drool and the fact that she wasn't eating that her mouth bothered her...and she's been walking around with her tongue hanging out) on Thursday involved going to the park and going to get an ice cream treat with daddy (and mommy was SUPER jealous when I got those pictures while I was at work!!).  Sara Kate's 'sick' day on Friday with mommy looked a little something like this...

Wake up time was right after daddy left for work, and she was definitely ready to get up!!
We colored...
We played with daddy's hat...
 
We played tea party...
We read books...
One exciting thing we did was practice our Hog Call!!!!  We did this alot during the fall (obviously) but haven't done it lately.  All of a sudden the other day she just did it!!  I assume they've been doing it at her school, which is fine by me! :-)
 Sara Kate took an AWESOME nap (like 3 hours!!)...
 After nap time, daddy was home from work so we played some blocks...
 And played some guitar!
I'm pretty busy at work right now so I hated losing a day, but I have to say that I really enjoyed my time at home with Sara Kate.  She's growing so fast, she's learning so much, she's so funny, and she's so loving...overall, I just really enjoyed spending the day with her. 
But thankfully, she is on the mend!! :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment