Friday, November 11, 2011

Soup Time!

It's that time of year (fall), which means it's soup weather!! I love soup and I have some fantastic recipes for soups. I'm not so sure that Chris is as into them as I am, but despite that, I have tried 2 new soup recipes lately, and in my opinion, they have both been GREAT!!

The first is a Lasagna Soup and here's the website I where I found it. This one is the one that I alluded to a week or so ago but never got around to sharing the recipe. So here ya go!

Lasagna Soup

Olive oil
1-1 and 1/2 lbs. Italian sausage
3 cups chopped onion
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 28-oz can fire roasted tomatoes
2 bay leaves
6 cups chicken stock
8 oz. fusilli pasta
1/2 cup finely chopped basil leaves
salt and black pepper to taste

Cheesy Yum:
8 oz. ricotta
1/2 cup grated Parmesean cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
pinch of freshly ground pepper

2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese

Heat olive oil in large pot over medium heat. Add sausage, breaking into bite sized pieces, and brown for about 5 minutes. Add onions and cook until softened. Add garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cook for about a minute. Add tomato paste and stir well to incorporate. cook for 3-4 minutes, or until tomato paste turns a rusty brown color. Add diced tomatoes, bay leaves, and chicken stock. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add uncooked pasta and cook until al dente. Do not over cook or let soup simmer too long, as pasta will get mushy. Stir in basil and season to taste with salt and pepper.

While pasta is cooking, prepare the cheesy yum. In a small bowl, combine the rocotta, Parmesan, salt, and pepper.

To serve, place a dollop of the cheesy yum in each soup bowl, sprinkle some mozzarella on top, and ladle the hot soup over the cheese.
*What I did differently: I didn't have any onion so I used onion flakes, I think I only used a couple cloves of garlic, I used 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes and 1 can of plain diced tomatoes to get the 28 oz, I didn't add much red pepper, and I used dried basil instead of fresh. And the other big thing I didn't do was I didn't make the cheesy yum. We just topped our soup with shredded mozzarella cheese. It was delicious the next day as left overs because the flavors had mixed together wonderfully! And it was happily approved by a certain 19 month old that lives in my house!! :-)

The second soup recipe I want to share with you is one I made this week. It's Chicken Enchilada Soup and I found the recipe here. I thought this one was sooooooo good! However, it was not approved a certain 19 month old that lives in my house. :-)

Chicken Enchilada Soup

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can diced tomatoes
1 10-oz package frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 can enchilada sauce (I used medium heat enchilada sauce)
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 and 1/2 cups milk
shredded cheese (I used colby/montery jack but original recipe called for pepper jack)
2 chicken breasts

In crockpot, combine drained beans, tomatoes, corn, onion, and bell pepper. Place 2 chicken breasts on top of mixture. In a mixing bowl, whisk together enchilada sauce, soup, and milk until smooth. Pour sauce mixture over ingredients in cooker. Cover, and cook on low heat for 6 to 8 hours or on high heat for 3 to 4 hours. When done, shred chicken or cut into pieces (it shred's really easily). Top with shredded cheese and serve. Can be topped with sour cream or crushed tortilla chips.
Make either of these and you won't be disappointed!!

No comments:

Post a Comment