Thursday, June 21, 2012

Welcome Summer!

Hello summer!!
 
Summer is officially upon us and we're feeling it here in NWA!  It's been pretty warm (and we're about to hit the upper 90's this weekend and next week), humid, and we've had no rain.  I've been doing quite a bit of field work (big YUCK this time of year) but I've also done something I've never done before...picked blackberries!  I've had a couple farmers take me to their 'honey holes' and I've loaded up.  The first batch I picked were smaller berries so they were tart, but the ones I got yesterday were bigger and very sweet!  
The guys at my office have also been picking berries and my co-worker Josh shared his wife's recipe for Blackberry Cobbler.  I made it this past weekend and it was delicious!  I made another to take to work today and it was gobbled up.  It's a super easy recipe too so I thought I'd share it.

Blackberry Cobbler
Crust:
1 and 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
Cut shortening into flour/salt mixture.  Add 7-8 Tablespoons cold water.  Mix until you can make a ball, then roll out dough and cut into strips.
Filling:
1 quart berries (4 cups)
~ 1 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
pinch of salt
Bring to a simmer on the stove.
Grease square baking dish.  To put pie together, layer crust strips, berries, crust strips, berries, dots of butter, crust strips, and sprinkle with sugar.
 
 
 Bake at 350 degrees for 30-60 minutes, depending on thickness of crust, until crust starts to brown (mine have been taking 45 mins to an hour depending on the oven).  
Serve warm with some ice cream and you will be in fruity cobbler heaven!!
In other summer news, we've spent lots of time outside and we've spent the last week watching baseball (which is not something we do) because our Razorbacks are in the College World Series (although they aren't doing very well right at this moment, boo!)!  Wooo Pig Sooie!!
 
I hope your summer has started out good where ever you are!!

No comments:

Post a Comment