Sunday, December 8, 2013

Snow Days

We have been snowed/iced in here at the Michaels household for 4 days now.  On Thursday morning sleet started falling and bridges and roads quickly started icing over.  Schools stayed closed and my office closed a little before 11.  I was home around 11:45 and this is where I have stayed!  It sleeted all day long, and it sleeted so hard it sounded like it was pouring down rain.  Snow started falling in Benton County during the day but snow didn't start here until around 10:00 that night.  But once it started it snowed hard and didn't stop until Friday afternoon!  First thing Friday morning Sara Kate started begging to go play in the snow.  So after I got breakfast in the oven, we went out an played!  I have been waiting on pins and needles for 3 years for a snow day with Sara Kate.  The winter I was pregnant with her we got tons of snow.  The  year she was born we got tons of snow.  And we've had nothing since then.  So I was beyond excited to have this snow day with her!!
 
 I got to teach her how to make snow angels.
 
 She went down her slide and I pushed her on the swing.
 
 
I showed her how to make snowballs.
She had big fun. We stayed out about 30 minutes before coming back inside.  Of course she wanted to go out again and I told her after she took a nap we would.  Another thing I've been looking forward to is taking her sledding for the first time.  So that's what we did!  There's a pretty good hill that leads down to our neighborhood playground so we walked down there with our sleds.  
If you've seen my Facebook page, you may have seen the sledding videos Chris has posted.  They are fantastic!!  Sara Kate LOVED sledding.  'Again! Again! Again!' she asked.  I absolutely loved experiencing this with her!!
 
 
Sara Kate LOVED being out in the snow!  We stayed out about an hour before having to head home.  It was a blistery 18 degrees!  The only way we got her happy about leaving was the lure of making snow ice cream!
 Saturday we had more fun adventures in sledding.  Sara Kate kept asking to go 'skating' again (sledding) so after her nap we headed out again.
Our sledding hill was a little more treacherous and we had some hard times, including Sara Kate face planting in the snow, Chris wrecking, and me running into the rock wall (thankfully it was me and not Sara Kate!!), but the entire time Sara Kate laughed the most precious laugh filled with glee.  She had such an amazing time.  I loved every second of it.
 
This is our neighborhood park.  We go to a nearby school playground often and to the bigger city parks in town, but we love having a park within walking distance.
We stayed until it was starting to get dark and again and we had to coax Sara Kate home.  No snow ice cream this time, but cooking dinner and playing inside made her happy.  

Ever since it started snowing she has said she wanted to build a snowman (another first) but the snow has been too powdery.  I told her we would try today.
I thought we might have enough melt to get it to pack good but it was still too powdery and not much melt.  Despite the powder, we tried.  My southern girl snowman building skills are pretty pathetic!!  In fact, they're down right laughable! HA!  In my defense, we didn't have snow down in south Arkansas when I was a kid (if we got anything we got ice) so I didn't get many chances to learn to build a snowman.  But Sara Kate had a great time, and that's all that matters!
She kind of looked like the little brother from 'A Christmas Story!'  Haha!!
 
 Without further ado, here is our sad little snowman.  I think Chris and Sara Kate named him 'Barry.'
 This is one cool dude!
We tried to build another one but the snow just wouldn't cooperate with packing and it was getting dark and very cold.  Maybe tomorrow.  Speaking of tomorrow, it will bring schools still closed so Chris and Sara Kate get another day home.  I think I have to go into work at some point but not 100% sure yet.  I'm really not looking forward to driving north if I have to go!  But I have loved spending the last 4 days with Sara Kate experiencing new things, things that I have been dying for her to experience!  I'm so glad we finally got the chance to sled, build a snowman, make snow angels, and have a snowball fight!  This big snow came so early (we got about 6 or 7 inches on top of a everything totally covered with a pretty good layer of sleet) and it got so bitterly cold (near 0 degrees!), it seems we might be in for a long winter.  If it happens, I'll welcome more opportunities to have more winter fun with my girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment